Pursuing Armstrong’s Mission Statement requires that we act as “passionate team members working together to deliver excellence in… safety.”
The success of Armstrong’s approach to safety is evidenced by our uninterrupted coverage by a single insurance carrier since 1957. In addition to our in-house Safety Department, we have an Agency Safety Representative at each agency who reports directly to his/her agency President. The six-component Safety Management Cycle of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration provides the framework for continuous improvement.
Our Agency Safety Representatives prepare and execute an annual Safety Action Plan. This plan is used to document satisfaction of and continuous improvement in key safety performance metrics. Metrics are derived from Department of Transportation and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations, van line mandates, and our own procedures, controls and policies. Maintaining a lower-than-industry Experience Modification Rate is a key result.
Agency Safety Representatives earn certification through participation in a Safety Planning Workshop and successful completion of six online courses. Certification modules include driver qualifications, vehicle inspections, pre-trip checklists, maintenance logs, hours of service compliance and overall Safety Performance Rating. Armstrong’s Safety Department, our insurer, outside consultants and UniGroup’s Safety Department conduct training and coaching.
We provide safety training meeting curriculum to our Agency Safety Representatives for weekly use with operations personnel. Additionally, they conduct recurring driver review sessions and perform frequent site visit audits on jobs-in-process.
- "GREAT attitude, complete explanation and willing to do whatever it took. NOT an easy move and this crew was efficient and careful in all its work. Really remarkable crew."
Z.K., June 2015
- "I've moved 4 times in the past 5 years -- including 2 cross country moves. This was the best moving crew on both ends that I've ever had. The packing job was EXCEPTIONAL and they really cared about taking care of my belongings. This was the first move I've had where not one single item broke. THANKS for the diligence!"
C.S., July 2015
- "Our driver was kind and considerate, professional and personable. He took special care with heirlooms and personal objects. He had a wonderful personality and kept everything moving along."
W.G., July 2015
- "Our driver and crew did a great job of loading and unloading our goods. I would definitely recommend!"
D.D., July 2015
- "The entire crew was awesome. I had recently lost a family member and these individuals were caring, compassionate, and very attentive. They handled me with sensitivity and checked in on me at various times as well as just emailing or calling to offer condolences. What a fantastic and exceptional group of people."
M.W., June 2015